vii CHURCH OF THE THEOTOKOS PAMMAKARISTOS 157 What information we have in regard to the chapel is little, but clear and definite, resting as it does on the authority of the two epitaphs which the poet Philes composed to be inscribed on the interior and exterior walls of the building. One of the epitaphs, if ever placed in position, has been destroyed or lies concealed under Turkish plaster. Of the other only fragments remain, forming part- of the scheme of decoration which adorns the south wall of the chapel. But fortunately the complete THE INSCRIPTION OM TOE COURSE OF THE 4MDE CHAPEL, FIG. 49- text of both epitaphs is preserved in the extant writings of their author, and affords all the information they were meant to record. The chapel was dedicated to Christ as the Logos1 and was built after the death of the protostrator by his wife Maria, or Martha in religion, for a mausoleum in which to place his tomb.2 As the protostrator died about 1315, the chapel was erected soon after that date, An interesting incident occurred in this chapel soon after 1 Carmina Phtlae, L pp. 115-16, lines 4, 7. 2 IhuL Heading to poem, and lines 10, 13-16. Second epitaph p. 117, lines * 1 A 5, 14.